Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A Lecture on the Anti-Slavery Movement


"The subject of my lecture this evening is, the nature, character, and history of
the anti-slavery movement....When I speak of the anti-slavery movement, I
mean to refer to that combination of moral, religious and political forces which
has long been, and is now, operating and co-operating for the abolition of
slavery in this country, and throughout the world. I wish to speak of that
movement, to-night, more as the calm observer, than as the ardent and
personally interested advocate. For, while I am willing to have it known, that
every fibre of my soul is enlisted in the cause of emancipation, I would not have
it thought that I am less capable than others, of calmly and rationally
contemplating the movement designed to accomplish that important and much
desired end"
Frederick Douglas explains his overall view on anti-slavery from an outsider perspective. Although he has his own experience as a slave, he also explains how he has seen others suffer being that he was able to escape at only 20 years old. He can feel other slave's pain because he also went through it only they have been through much longer than himself. Frederick shows the views from every angle such has moral religious and political forces.
I feel that Frederick Douglas had the right idea to speak as a calm observer because people want to hear the truth. No one wants to listen to an angry man. Speaking so calmly about anti-slavery makes people want to listen, to understand the movement and be motivated to also join. Frederick wanted to accomplish a movement that would succeed and end slavery.

No comments:

Post a Comment